Skip to main content

Determination

Once again in Tallinn, finally completing the paperwork of a transaction that we executed a few weeks ago to fund a reverse takeover of a Polish company listed on the Warsaw stock exchange.

Coincidentally, a party of British Liberal Democrats is visiting Estonia, and since the party of Parliamentarians is being led by my Uncle, I am able to tag along to a couple of the meetings. Some of the members of the group visited Tallinn four years ago on a similar mission. They are, inevitably, astonished to notice the dramatic changes, not least in the Tallinn skyline, that have taken place since then.

As with the last trip, the delegation meets the All-Party British Group in the Estonian Parliament. Several heavyweights, including former Prime Minister Mart Laar, come to join the exchange of views. As before I am struck by the fact that the debates between the different factions are over issues that are encompassed with the UK Lib Dems. Both Mart Laar, a nominal Conservative, and Sven Mikser -a leading Social Democrat- express views that are identical to UK Liberal policy. Indeed Mart Laar clearly has little time for the virulent anti Europeanism of the British Conservatives, and his general disappointment with the Party of his hero, "Maggie Thatcher" is palpable.

As I talk with the British MPs and members of the House of Lords later, they finally help me make my mind up about committing to run for Parliament next time. I have been asked to stand for one of the most winnable seats for the Liberal Democrats in the country. Initially I was concerned that my commitments, especially my job, would not allow me to make the massive effort that actively fighting a seat requires. However after much thought I have now found a way that I can make that commitment. It will not be easy, and is certainly a significant loss of income. However the messages of support and encouragement from the constituency have made up my mind for me. Having such close family ties to the area has meant that many of the members of the party have known me most of my life, and all of them have been definite that I should fight this. So, this morning I have sent in my application and the supporting paperwork. The shortlisting meeting is this week, and I will know over the weekend if I have gone through to the next round. There is at least one other candidate, so we shall just have to see if my application is successful.

However, seeing the success of Liberal Estonia, I am determined that the same ideas can make a real difference to Aberdeen, to Scotland and to the UK.

Comments

I wish you good luck. I'm sure you'll make a great and insightful MP.
Anonymous said…
Aberdeen? Is your uncle by any chance Robert Smith or Malcolm Bruce?
Anonymous said…
Aberdeen? I thought Aberdeen South already had a candidate, and you've ruled out Aberdeen North in the Granite City. So will you let your readers in on the secret Consul? BTW if you arrive in the Commons I hope you practice toleration beforehand. The last person to be shot in the Commons was Spencer Perceval. I wonder if that record would hold if you to encounter say Bill Cash in the corridors....

Needless to say if you are taking on Labour, Good Luck!


Lepidus
Anonymous said…
Lepidus, Aberdeen South seemed to have a candidate in the candidates section of the www.libdems.org.uk site, but if you'll take a new look, you'll find out, that the profile is now removed. I think that it was a mistake, and the candidate was actually standing for the Aberdeen South in the Holyrood elections in May. It seems that Lib Dem candidate for Aberdeen South in Westminster elections has still to be selected.
Anonymous said…
Cicero's uncle is Malcolm Bruce. However bearing in mind that Alex Salmond won Gordon in the Holyrood election, now would be an unlikely (and unhelpful) time for Malcolm to stand down.
Cicero said…
Malcolm has already indicted tht he will be seeking to be re-elected in Gordon at the next elecion, whenever that is. Indeed I believe that the formal reselection will be within the month.
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Popular posts from this blog

Concert and Blues

Tallinn is full tonight... Big concerts on at the Song field The Weeknd and Bonnie Tyler (!). The place is buzzing and some sixty thousand concert goers have booked every bed for thirty miles around Tallinn. It should be a busy high summer, but it isn´t. Tourism is down sharply overall. Only 70 cruise ships calling this season, versus over 300 before Ukraine. Since no one goes to St Pete, demand has fallen, and of course people think that Estonia is not safe. We are tired. The economy is still under big pressure, and the fall of tourism is a significant part of that. The credit rating for Estonia has been downgraded as the government struggles with spending. The summer has been a little gloomy, and soon the long and slow autumn will drift into the dark of the year. Yesterday I met with more refugees: the usual horrible stories, the usual tears. I try to make myself immune, but I can´t. These people are wounded in spirit, carrying their grief in a terrible cradling. I try to project hop

Media misdirection

In the small print of the UK budget we find that the Chancellor of the Exchequer (the British Finance Minister) has allocated a further 15 billion Pounds to the funding for the UK track and trace system. This means that the cost of the UK´s track and trace system is now 37 billion Pounds.  That is approximately €43 billion or US$51 billion, which is to say that it is amount of money greater than the national GDP of over 110 countries, or if you prefer, it is roughly the same number as the combined GDP of the 34 smallest economies of the planet.  As at December 2020, 70% of the contracts for the track and trace system were awarded by the Conservative government without a competitive tender being made . The program is overseen by Dido Harding , who is not only a Conservative Life Peer, but the wife of a Conservative MP, John Penrose, and a contemporary of David Cameron and Boris Johnson at Oxford. Many of these untendered contracts have been given to companies that seem to have no notewo

Bournemouth absence

Although I had hoped to get down to the Liberal Democrat conference in Bournemouth this year, simple pressure of work has now made that impossible. I must admit to great disappointment. The last conference before the General Election was always likely to show a few fireworks, and indeed the conference has attracted more headlines than any other over the past three years. Some of these headlines show a significant change of course in terms of economic policy. Scepticism about the size of government expenditure has given way to concern and now it is clear that reducing government expenditure will need to be the most urgent priority of the next government. So far it has been the Liberal Democrats that have made the running, and although the Conservatives are now belatedly recognising that cuts will be required they continue to fail to provide even the slightest detail as to what they think should guide their decisions in this area. This political cowardice means that we are expected to ch